Sora Martial Arts is a martial arts school located in Farmingville, Long Island, New York.
We are dedicated to providing real world martial arts training – the skills and abilities we will provide to you are the kind that you can really use to defend yourself. In addition to this, we can help you get fit and stay fit, prevent obesity and establish healthy habits and self-discipline – all in a fun, judgement free community atmosphere.
We have classes for people of all ages and levels of fitness, from 5 to 105. We are particularly passionate about prevented bullying, and are always active in the community and local schools, spreading our message far and wide.
The school is owned and managed by Sensei Andrew Sora. Biographies of him, and of our other teachers, can be found below.
Sensei Andrew Sora
A lifelong student of the martial arts and a father of three, Andrew has trained with some of the best martial artists and instructors in the world.
- Creator and master instructor of Sora Martial Arts Center.
- 6th dan black belt in Ishinryu Karate; 2nd dan black belt in American Combat Jiu Jitsu
- Original owner of Ishinryu Martial Arts Center (ICMA), now called Sora Martial Arts Center.
- Inducted into Long Island Martial Arts Hall of Fame by the late Don Meyer.
- Holder of an Associates Degree in education; six year’s experience as a high school teacher.
- Middleweight competitor / fighter on National level for Sport Ju-Jitsu since 1995.
- USSJA / ISJA (International Sport Ju-Jitsu Association) Certified Official
- Studied with Master Arcenio Advincula (Isshinryu, Escrima, Hindiandi Gung Fu), Ernie Boggs (Sport Ju-Jitsu, Street self defense and blade work) and Soke George Trimm (Isshinryu, Self Defense).
- Creator of two unique programs: AIM (Attitude, Intention and Motivation) and The Shining Star Martial Art Program. These are designed to help children, teens and young adults with special needs overcome their challenges through study of the martial arts.
Read a personal message from Andrew here.
Sempei Edward Sanchez
Edward is a student who is fast becoming a master. He’s been Andrew’s right hand man for over a year now, and is an invaluable member of the Sora team.
Despite being only 18, Edward is a black belt in Ishinryu Karate. He’s a dedicated, hard-working senior in The Sachem District, and the kids in the dojo absolutely love him! His Younger sister is a brown belt, and attends the dojo too.
Edward is currently embroiled in a “crazy sock” battle with the little warriors, our youngest class. If you see him, Ask him about his sneakers.